The 2019 MTV Video Music Awards, as per usual, certainly did not disappoint! Honestly it was a bit more of a concert to me than an awards show, but, hey–I’m okay with that.
Since the opening of the show was a bit of a snooze for me *cough*cough*, I’ll get started with a few quick takeaways before I move into most important performances:
- i still am not sure who the host was, don’t want to find out
- why is this in new jersey
- the snake really flaunted the fact that she worked with the LGBT community to bring forth “you need to calm down”
- Shawn and Camila were IRRESPONSIBLE with my emotions
- Men’s heeled boots (calm down I’m taking a 4cm heel at the most) are the only footwear to take seriously (peep examples further down in this post)
- The future of live performance is dominated by tech animation and i am not mad in the slightest!!!!!!!!! The way these artists utilized the crazy amount of screens was srsly dope
- even though she used to drug men and rob them, I really like cardi b. she’s funny, she’s real, she secures her own bag and encourages you to do the same.
- missy elliott can still GET IT
Now, on to my favorite performances of the night, in no particular order (except Miley at the top bc duh):
First of all, Miley was not originally slated to perform and then BOOM: they fuckin surprised us yesterday with the announcement and i nearly died.
I mean let’s be real; Miley is 100% the queen of the VMAs for the decade. I mean NO ONE has had such an incredible array of performances AND even hosted a show. All hail, for real. Her performance last night was a departure from the her typical VMA antics but HOT DAMN she sounded sogood.
LIZZO- how lucky we are to be on the planet a the same time as LIZZO! one of her best award show performances to date five sure, she killed it last night:
THE JONAS BROTHERS: they were banished to perform in a different location but it was still good–plus i’m always down for a denim look (also peep the heeled boot on Nick)
SHAWN MENDES & CAMILA CABELLO: I mean I have not been this affected by a performance since Miley and Shawn’s collab at the Grammys. Also i was about 600% sure Shawn was definitely going to make a point of making out with Camila but i think the coy eskimo kiss was actually the perfect move (peep the heeled boot on Shawn)
MISSY ELLIOTT: I mean what is there to say except she killed. The vibe was the perfect blend of nostalgia and futuristic aesthetic. HOW does she move in those heavy ass jackets though?!
H.E.R.: I love H.E.R. and really, that’s all there is to say. She’s unparalleled in her craft and niche and I am here for every guitar solo she strums out and listen, I’m not big on guitar solos.
ROSALIA-She is dope, sounded amazing, and killed. From the flowers on the screens to the dancers, this performance screamed latina icon and I’m here for it. (Also her nails!!)
LIL NAS X: he really took us to the future in his performance, with a set design the likes of that movie ‘tron’ maybe? (the one daft punk did the soundtrack for?). Not exactly my favorite song (he didn’t sing it live anyway), the performance was more about what’s possible with 10,000 screens and honestly whole new ballparks are opening right in front of my eyes.
Overall, a pretty chill night. The caliber of performances made up for the fact that someone I don’t really care for won a fuqqin BUNCH of the awards…BUT at least it was for a song with a good message, right?
Storms slightly interrupted and delayed the show (never, of course, when I wanted it to) but we all survived intact and that’s what’s important, right?
One thing is for certain, though: I can’t wait for next year’s show.
******I do not own the above images, videos, or music and I am ok with it ok*******